8.18.2011

Rhubarb perfection.

I have always loved Rhubarb. 

I always have a hard time finding any of it to bake with, so when I saw some at the Farmers' Market last weekend I snatched it up. I had it sitting around in my fridge for a few days while I searched for the perfect recipe. 
I found it.
This cake was absolutely amazing. Even before baking it I knew it had promise because the batter smelled wonderful. Bekah and Ellie came over to help me make it and eat it. ( I always try to bake when I know that someone besides Ben and I will be consuming it) 

Anyway, it was late into the evening before it came out of the oven so I didn't get a decent photo of it then, but here is someone else's photo of the same recipe.



SOUR CREAM & RHUBARB CAKE
(recipe from “The Country Cookbook” by Belinda Jeffery)


Ingredients:

2 & 1/3 cups Self-Raising Flour

1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
 & 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
3 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
4 cups rhubarb, cut into 1cm chunks
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/2 cup white sugar
vanilla ice cream, to serve with (if you wish)


Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a round cake pan (I used my a 9" spring form pan but you don't have to). You could honestly use any pan that will hold the batter. Then mix together the flour, salt, nutmeg and 1 and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon in a bowl with a whisk and set aside. Put the butter and brown sugar into a separate bowl and beat till the mixture resembles (and feels like) wet sand.
3. Once the butter is fully incorporated, add the egg and beat will till the mixture is fluffy and creamy and there are no more lumps of sugar.
4. Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat in till well combined.
5. Mix in the flour on low speed till combined, then add your rhubarb chunks and stir briskly to make sure that the rhubarb is completely coated in batter. 
6. Once the mixture is combined, scrape it into your prepared cake tin and sprinkle the top liberally with sugar and the remaining cinnamon. 
7. Bake the cake for 1 hour, or till a wooden skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. 

I would recommend serving this warm with a dollop of vanilla bean ice cream…but it also just as good when it cools down. I had a piece for breakfast with my coffee the next morning. (what?! there is fruit it in!) haha.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks, I was going to ask for the recipe when you had told me about it :) I bet apples would be yummy in the fall~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely delicious!! Wish you were closer so I could come try a piece! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I would so have that for breakfast with coffee too. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...