9.06.2010

Where did summer go?

The temperature slipped down into cooler temps this weekend. We had grown accustomed to the humidity that comes along with high eighties so when it hardly reached sixty degrees these last few days I suddenly found myself thrown into autumn cravings. Hence the reason for this post… Spiced Pumpkin Latte. It’s autumn in a cup. Seriously. I also crave Starbuck’s pumpkin latte when they bring it out every fall, so when a happened upon this recipe last autumn I had to try it. I honestly think it lives up to the Starbucks drink, and it costs a lot less to make when you consider how many you can make at home once you buy the ingredients. Let me warn you however, if you don’t like pumpkin this drink is not for you. This drink will not make you suddenly like pumpkin, so stay away pumpkin haters. (Ben falls into this category so don’t feel too bad) I have played around with the recipe a bit since receiving my espresso machine. The recipe only calls for strong coffee but if you have an espresso machine feel free to substitute a shot of espresso…either tastes about the same to me. This could be because I make my coffee rather strong however, ha.
The funny this about this recipe is that I believe there is a nationwide shortage on canned pumpkin right now. You may laugh but I am being completely serious. It is hard to find because I guess 1/3 of the pumpkin crop went bad last harvest so there is a shortage on grocery store shelves. I happened to get a can from my brother and sister-in-law who unknowingly possessed the scarce item in their pantry. So on a side note, if you cannot imagine a thanksgiving without pumpkin pie you may want to start searching for it now. I suppose you could go the all-natural route and buy whole pumpkins…but that is even a little too ambitious for my love of baking. Or maybe my love of pumpkin doesn’t go that deep? Who knows?

(this recipe makes two 8oz servings, which really means only one large mug if you drink your coffee like I do, but you can pretty much multiply this recipe as needed for groups) Don’t do any precise measuring either because I am pretty sure I use different amounts each time. Those of you that demand precise measurements may have a problem with this….so do as you wish.



Pumpkin Spice Latte

1 cup strong coffee
2/3 cup evaporated milk
¼ cup Pure Pumpkin
1 tablespoon sugar (add more to taste if you want it sweeter)
1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (can use ground cinnamon too)

Combine everything in a sauce pan and heat over stove until very hot (stir occasionally). Or you can combine it in a microwave safe bowl/mug and heat it in the microwave.

To make a foamy top you can prepare as above and then carefully transfer the hot mixture into a blender and then blend for a minute, OR you can steam up some milk in your espresso machine ;) I have personally never tried the blender method. It just seemed a little messy for me, so I usually just steam some milk or take out the good ol’ can of whip cream and spray some on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon on top and sit back and watch autumn roll in.

I fully realize that the eighty degree weather may return this week, so you may need to save this recipe for later.


ONE LAST THING!
For all the leftover pumpkin you will have left, please consider making pumpkin waffles. Here is the recipe I have used for these.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...